Patient Safety Course
Patient Safety Course (Effective 2016)
Beginning with those who take and pass their initial certification or MOC exam in 2016, diplomates are now required to complete an approved Patient Safety Course within the three years prior to board certification/recertification OR in their first C-MOC block (beginning with those whose first block is 2017-2019).
- A diplomate who is recertifying in 2016 can complete the Patient Safety Course within the three years prior to recertifying (2013-2015) OR during their first C-MOC block (2017-2019).
- A candidate who is taking their initial certification exam in 2016 can complete the Patient Safety Course within the three years prior to certifying (2013-2015) OR during their first C-MOC block (2017-2019).
Choose from ONE of the following options to complete the Patient Safety Course:
- A Patient Safety Course required by an accredited institution (e.g., hospitals, clinics, training programs); OR
- A Patient Safety Course listed on the ABPN Approved Products List. Some no-cost or reduced cost ABPN-approved activities on the list are available to members through professional organizations.
Other notes about the Patient Safety Course:
- The Patient Safety Course is a one-time requirement
- The diplomate/candidate must provide documentation of successful completion of the Patient Safety Course if audited.